[DGD] Question about thread local storage

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Mar 24 12:24:11 CET 2004

Steve Wooster <swooster at xprt.net> wrote:

>      I've been looking through the kernel lib to see how it implemented
> TLS... I know it has to do with modifying the array of arguments for the
> second call that call_trace() returns, and that the kernel lib always
> ensures the second call has extra arguments sent to it, but I'm a bit
> confused with how it does that. When it comes to functions in the driver
> object such as Initialize() or Restore(), I see it passing the necessary
> array, but at first glance, I'm having trouble figuring out how it
> allocates the memory in threads started by call_outs. Anybody know? Thanks.
> My apologies if this could have been easily found with more searching.

All callouts are redirected to _F_callout() in the auto object.  This
calls _F_call_limited(), and that function then <replaces> the argument
array with the TLS array.  I could have handled this through another
function (say __F_callout) as it is done elsewhere, but _F_call_limited
is heavily involved in TLS manipulation anyhow.

By the way, the kernel library uses the _F_/_Q_ convention for functions
that have to be present in objects, but should not pollute the object
namespace.  If "_F_destruct" had been "destruct", then mudlibs based
on the kernel library could not have defined a destruct function
themselves (these _F_/_Q_ functions are not intended to be masked).