[DGD] Solving a Persistence Problem - Puzzles and Quest Objects

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 22:03:31 CEST 2004

--- David Jackson <atari_x at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> In planning these ports, I realized a few of the
> biggest
> problems in converting what is essentially a single-player
> game to a multi-player platform.

  Yup.  That's it's own whole can of worms, all right.

> 1)  Puzzles have to be reset.  In a non-persistent mud (MudOS,
> LPMud), this
> is generally not a problem.  Rooms reset themselves, and when they
> do, the
> puzzles reset.  This is not the case with a persistent driver (DGD).

  As you've said below, you *can* add regular resets to DGD.  This
means the quest can be completed repeatedly.  However, the quest's
benefit (good item, money, exp) does *not* have to be given repeatedly.
 For instance, in "Fedex" quests (bringing an item to a person), you
can have the person say (after the very first time), "sure, I'll take
it, but why are you bringing this to *me*?"  Then you don't have to
repeatedly award items or experience to the person.  You *do* have to
save "quest completed" flags for all the quests for every person, but
that's a smaller amount of data than you think.

  Another, more persistent, solution is to add "quest gremlins" of some
kind.  Maybe a lever is spring-loaded, maybe a shifting maze resets
itself when nobody has been in its area for an hour.  Maybe the birch
stick you need to wedge open the door will break eventually if left in
the door, and another birch stick will drop from the tree.  This is
more difficult, and requires more creativity in your puzzlemaking, but
it also yields a much more satisfying player experience for us
explorer-types :-)

  It also requires much more of an answer to "so why is this puzzle
still there, anyway?"  The answer, in one way or another, is that your
world maintains the puzzle.  When the puzzle stops being maintained,
*bam*, no more puzzle.

> 2)  Quest items/treasures have to be replaced.  This usually occurs
> during
> room resets.  Again, there are no room resets in DGD.

  Again, you can just reset.

  Again, you can add Quest Gremlins.  I include not only critters
(think of the little guys that picked up and moved tiles in the maze in
"Labyrinth"), but also special effects like the branch dropping from
the tree.

> My first solution is;  once a quest item is picked up, it is
> automatically
> cloned and placed into the environment in which it was found,
> but now the
> new quest item is invisible to the person who picked it up.

  This would be cute.  An alternative, even grander (and more
memory-hungry) idea would be to clone the entire puzzle area when a
person enters.  Then the person does the puzzle, gets a result, and
winds up with a final 'done' puzzle zone afterward.  This means the
player is required to do puzzles alone, and that there has to be only
one (or a very small number) of 'done' states for the puzzle.  An
example, partially lifted from CthulhuMUD:

  You have a haunted house.  You can enter the house and explore the
lower floors, read an old diary, see the moldy furniture, et cetera.
At that point, if you leave, the puzzle resets and it'll be the same
next time you come in.  However, once you've entered the upper floors,
a Presence begins to follow you.  If you then exit, the puzzle will be
reset, but the Presence will do something mildly nasty to you on the
way out.

  However, if you've read the diary carefully or get lucky, you can
tweak a statue on the upper floors to open a secret door, which leads
to the corpse of the owner.  By taking the medallion he died with and
wearing it, you can avoid being hurt by the Presence.  However, if you
do that, then when you leave the house, the Presence will burn the
place down and you'll barely escape, taking damage on the way.  The
next time you wander by the house, it's been burned down and you can't
enter.

  This has the interesting effect that you'll see odd things when other
people *do* enter from the same street.  The group won't see each other
inside the house -- it's as though only you, alone, are there.  And it
means that the people for whom the house is burned down will *still*
see other people enter.

  You can decide if that's better or worse than having constant resets,
which are also deeply unrealistic.

> How do I make an object that, when picked up, it clones
> itself,
> and makes itself invisible, and the original remains visible to the
> person
> who picked it up?

  As with the quest flags, above, you have item flags that you save for
every player.  When the player picks up the item, set the item flag on
him.  Now he can no longer see it.  You'll do all this somewhere in the
routines where you describe your rooms and items.

> doesn't
> keep the player from repeatedly getting the score for the same
> quest/treasure items over and over again.

  This is a constant problem in MUDs, and the cause of the constant
inflation that plagues almost every MUD everywhere.  Do you make your
MUD limited, and risk the players getting bored and leaving, or let
them do the same thing over and over for a reward, and guarantee
horrendous inflation?

  There's no good answer to that question.  Not yet.  With persistent
and random puzzle design, eventually there might be.

=====