[DGD] Solving a Persistence Problem - Puzzles and Quest Objects

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Sep 7 03:56:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, David Jackson wrote:
> How do I make an object that, when picked up, it clones itself,
> and makes itself invisible, and the original remains visible to the person
> who picked it up?

How about cloning it, and not moving it to the right place for,
say, 10 minutes or so? Effectively this delays the reset of the
question until the player is gone. It does make for a problem
if someone else shows up in the interim, or if the first player
doesn't leave, but it seems elegant otherwise.

> My over-all goal is to provide a mechanism so that every person who plays
> through a particular area, can play through that area once, but if he
> should return, then that area will not yield useful quest/treasure
> items.

You'll have to keep track of who has done what quest. Store that
data on the player, not on the room or in separate data file.
Otherwise you're asking for trouble with database maintenance.

This does mean you'll have to be able to add a new variable
to the player object whenever you bring a new quest up.

> Any thoughts, ideas, solutions, etc., would be greatly appreciated...

How about including some moderately random component to the quest,
so that the solution isn't the same all the time? For example, the
key item could be in any one of five different places. That means
the player who does it again has to solve a new variant (80% of
the time anyway) and it also cracks down on player 1 telling
player 2 how to solve the quest.

Steve