[DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

Jas katmandu at turbobyte.com
Wed Sep 22 00:54:31 CEST 2004

Stephen Schmidt wrote:

>Graphical MUDs are going to need a whole lot of bandwidth, or a
>design that really, really minimizes the number of images that
>have to be downloaded, and probably both.

Why not pre-install most of the image files on the player's PC, much the
same as Everquest and other games like that are doing?

Essentially, the Everquest "program" is little more than a GUI telnet
client with the image libraries pre-downloaded to the player's PC, used
to connect to Sony's servers where the universe rules are managed on the
server side (to reduce the use of memory offsets to cheat).

When Sony has a significant change to the image libraries, they sell or
otherwise distribute the hundreds of megabytes worth of changes on CD as
an expansion.  Then, smaller patches are downloaded to the player's PC
as image libraries change incrementally.

I've played more than my share of Everquest (one of the big reasons I
dropped back out of the MUD scene again for several years), and the
several gigabytes of space the game consumes on my hard drive are likely
the reason why I manage to maintain a decent FPS rate without killing my
bandwidth.

>I think the hardware
>to handle that will be beyond the casual user (ie, me). This
>is something that will probably have to be done in the
>commercial realm.

Still using Everquest as an example, a number of fairly-decent Everquest
emulators are out there, allowing just about anyone to host their own EQ
server on desktop-grade equipment.

The biggest "drawback" to running an emulated server (other than
possible legal complications from locking horns with Sony) is that
you're still playing with the "world" (zones) that the Everquest
designers built.  And there's not currently an easy way for the game's
"owner" to change other aspects of the game (such as adding new spells,
creating new items, and so on).

But, it's only a matter of time before someone puts out a decent SDK for
modifying existing zones and/or building new ones.  At that point, the
emulated Everquest server will be about the closest thing to a graphical
MUD that most of us would be able to afford the hardware to host.

>Steve

Cheers,
Jason