[DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Sep 22 04:38:30 CEST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jas wrote:
> Why not pre-install most of the image files on the player's PC, much the
> same as Everquest and other games like that are doing?

The problem is wizards writing new areas. This works under two
circumstances:

1) You can pre-install a wide enough range of images that wizards
   can code new areas using only the existing image files.
2) You abandon the traditional wizard-codes-area scheme.

I'm pretty skeptical about #1; I think if you go this road you
are looking at #2, limiting the extensibility of the game world
in some way (or requiring all users to upgrade their image
libraries periodically and having new areas be inaccessible
to players with outdated versions).

That said, I have no experience with anything like this, and
obviously other people do, so there may be incremental
solutions (rapid and reasonably transparent updating of the
image lib, maybe) which would work around the problem.

There is also the problem of having the wizards create new
images, and having the admins check them for appropriate
content, and so forth, but those problems are no different
in nature from what we face with wizards writing new text.

Steve