[DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

David Jackson atari_x at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 22 01:47:31 CEST 2004

At 04:36 PM 9/21/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, David Jackson wrote:
> > But, if you think about a MUD as just a way to manipulate data - what's the
> > difference between a room description and an image tag?
>
>The room description is 100 bytes of information, the tag refers
>to an image which is probably at least 20K of information and
>maybe a lot more than that.
>
>Graphical MUDs are going to need a whole lot of bandwidth, or a
>design that really, really minimizes the number of images that
>have to be downloaded, and probably both. I think the hardware
>to handle that will be beyond the casual user (ie, me). This
>is something that will probably have to be done in the
>commercial realm.
>
>Steve

That would be if your paradigm was to transmit every image that you needed
to use - which you wouldn't (or at least shouldn't).  One huge download in
the beginning (say, when you are downloading your specialized client), and
that's it.

And besides, the technology that drove Myst is way outdated.  We should
move outside of the box and think about ways to enhance and provide
additional control features for a 3D environment.

-D