[DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

Ludvig Lejon ludde at lejon.biz
Wed Sep 22 12:05:39 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Schmidt" <schmidsj at union.edu>
To: <dgd at list.imaginary.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 4:38 AM
Subject: Re: [DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jas wrote:
> > Why not pre-install most of the image files on the player's PC, much the
> > same as Everquest and other games like that are doing?
>
> The problem is wizards writing new areas. This works under two
> circumstances:
>
> 1) You can pre-install a wide enough range of images that wizards
>    can code new areas using only the existing image files.
> 2) You abandon the traditional wizard-codes-area scheme.
>
> I'm pretty skeptical about #1; I think if you go this road you
> are looking at #2, limiting the extensibility of the game world
> in some way (or requiring all users to upgrade their image
> libraries periodically and having new areas be inaccessible
> to players with outdated versions).
>
> That said, I have no experience with anything like this, and
> obviously other people do, so there may be incremental
> solutions (rapid and reasonably transparent updating of the
> image lib, maybe) which would work around the problem.
>
> There is also the problem of having the wizards create new
> images, and having the admins check them for appropriate
> content, and so forth, but those problems are no different
> in nature from what we face with wizards writing new text.
>
> Steve

Well, I think this problem could be solved quite nicely.
Let's say you build a world and place all images required in the players
client.
When a new built area is access by a player, the server asks the client if
that area's images is availible on the players local hard drive.
If not, they are downloaded to the client while the player sees a
The same goes for weapons, new monsters around the world too. The server can
easily just ask the
client if the required images are already downloaded, if not a download
procedur is started.

I think my solution will be much more appreciated amongst players than the
solution where they have to manually update their clients.

Lejon