[DGD] 3 golden rules for MP

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Apr 5 01:21:01 CEST 2005

Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net> wrote:

> > 1) Try to modify as few objects as possible in a single execution round,
> >    other than the object you start in.
> > 2) Try to avoid modifying the object you add a callout for.  If possible,
> >    delay modification until when the callout actually executes.
> > 3) Avoid starting all execution rounds from the same small set of objects.
>
> To my mind, 1) and 3) are fairly intuitive, and I think I know
> reasonably well how to go about structuring a mudlib to avoid lots of
> clashes. But 2) seems problematic to me, especially if 3) prohibits us
> from offloading hearbeat-style issues on central objects.

The second rule follows from the first.  If you have an occasion where
a lot of objects are modified together -- for example, a message broadcast
to all players -- you can lessen the impact by breaking it up with callouts.
The broadcaster does not directly force each player to process a message,
but instead starts a zero-delay callout in each player object to do so.

This introduces a whole new reason for having zero-delay callouts, and
I expect that the amount of them will probably exceed the "normal"
callouts by at least one order of magnitude.  The second rule must be
seen in that context.  It applies to all of such "followup" callouts,
and therefore to the vast majority of callouts.  Of course, there are
still a number of "ordinary" callouts for which it makes no sense.

None of the rules are absolute, and all of them can be broken when
there is sufficient reason for doing so.  Rule 2 is very important
when you mask call_out() in the auto object, it would be a disaster
if there is some variable modified along with <every> added callout.