[DGD] DGD http daemon?

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Feb 8 22:35:01 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> A telnet (alike) interface is possible in a few ways, each with their own
> limitations.
> - java applet (mindterm comes to mind), complete but requires java.

This seems like the logical route to go. If you are going
to require that the browser have telnet capability (some
don't) then requiring Java capability doesn't seem too
bad either. I may not be understanding all the issues
here, I'm a little fuzzy on the difference between Java
and javascript.

> - javascript, I wouldn't want to implement this (browser compatibility
> hell)

I'm not knowledgable enough to comment.

> - frame/iframe with a refresh metatag to pull updates from the server
> every so often. Easy but updates only every so often and is not too
> reliable.

I concur that this isn't workable. There'll have to be something
running on the server side to initiate communications methods.
If nothing else, having every user refresh every second or two
is going to be a hassle for the server.

> Which is also why I bothered with cookies at all. To do something like
> this as well as things like mail etc, people will have to
> logon and some form of session must be possible.

I agree.

Steve

For might makes right! Until they've seen the light
They've got to be protected, all their rights respected
Until somebody we like can be elected!
		- Tom Lehrer