[DGD] DGD http daemon?

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Tue Feb 8 22:10:01 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Stephen Schmidt wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> > Keep in mind that for most games the same problems will apply as
> > for communications. Specifically, how to send something to a client
> > without the client doing a http request to get it. If you solve that, then
> > you will not need telnet for communications either.
>
> Yah. For simple hack-and-slay, communications (including combat
> messages as part of communications) is generally the only
> thing that originates within the mud. Other things are
> initiated by a player command, and as long as they don't
> take effect with a delay, then the command will generate
> the http request to get the mud to react.

Yes, that will work, and is how the uptime and who pages are generated.

> I have a vision of a web page with frames, one frame running
> a telnet interface which handles the communications. How
> feasible that is I don't know. But all the web-based chat
> programs manage it so it can't be too grim.

A telnet (alike) interface is possible in a few ways, each with their own
limitations.

- java applet (mindterm comes to mind), complete but requires java.
- javascript, I wouldn't want to implement this (browser compatibility
hell)
- frame/iframe with a refresh metatag to pull updates from the server
every so often. Easy but updates only every so often and is not too
reliable.

I share your dream...

Which is also why I bothered with cookies at all. To do something like
this as well as things like mail etc, people will have to
logon and some form of session must be possible. While http can do the
authentication, it can't do sessions without the help of either cookies or
url encoding or both.

Oh well.. this is one of those projects that happen by accident and are
extremely good at sidetracking you, so be forwarned.. but it got me
interested in doing some LPC code again :)

Bart.