[DGD] typeof bug?

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Thu Mar 31 18:17:01 CEST 2005

On 3/31/05 9:09 AM Robert Forshaw wrote:
[...]
> When I say I want to express as much with as little, I'm speaking
> primarily in the cognitive sense, not in terms of how much function is
> achieved by the code (that is a secondary goal). I want to be able to
> glance at a page of code and immediately see what it does. I want to be
> able to read rather than interpret. I want to elucidate rather than
> obfuscate.
>
> e.g. take the following lines of code:
>
> s = "";
> s = EMPTY_STRING;
> EMPTY(s);
>
> These all do the same thing, but if I have to look at one line a
> millisecond longer, I'll go for the one that conveys its' meaning to me
> more quickly. It all adds up.

To me, that would be the first line.

[...]
>> Macros are kludgy and should generally be avoided. I won't argue why, as
>> there are many good explanations on the Web and elsewhere.
>

> I don't know what you mean by "kludgy", nor have I experienced anything
> but an immediate advantage to using these macros. I'll try looking up
> these explanations you allude to and then see if I want to continue
> using macros.

Here's my angle on macros from past experience: The problem with macros
is that every programmer will come up with a slightly different set of
them which makes peer-review or QA review of code more bothersome than
it could be if the programmer would as much as possible stick to just
the defines and macros that are available globally and only add defines
for constant values throughout the code and only the most basic macros.

I'll admit that 'the most basic' can be up for discussion.

[...]
>> As another aside, if your language is parsed into LPC, compiled, and
>> executed, it is by definition not a pseudo-language but a real one.
>

> Thanks for the clarification. Does the concept "psuedo-language" refer
> to anything specific?

Just 'not a real language'.  If you parse, compile and execute it, that
makes it quite real, doesn't it?

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>
"One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve