[DGD] Question: Implementing foreach()

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue May 3 11:35:01 CEST 2005

>   On a related but simpler note...  Here's a page of stuff that Dworkin is
> currently *not* planning to add to DGD:
> "http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Programming/Unsupported.html".  Foreach
> gets a little entry in there as well.

A few more words about my overall development strategy for LPC:

I'll retain backward compatibility with LPMud 2.4.5, and with LPC in
previous DGD versions.  Beyond that I'm not interested in introducing
new features just because some other LPC driver has it.  If you want
some feature from MudOS/LDmud/etc, then perhaps your needs are better
served by MudOS/LDMud/etc.

With regard to foreach in particular, I am skeptical about the use
of this loop construct over a mutable datatype.  I think of LPC as
a simple, fairly low-level language and foreach hides details that
should not be hidden.  What's worse is that the implementation in
other LPC drivers is plain wrong.

I like LPC's clean simplicity.  I have tried to develop it further
as a database server language with rlimits and atomic functions, and
as a generic programming language with nil, light-weight objects and
object types.  Even so I want to keep the feature set small and the
language easy to understand.