[DGD] Another "Melville" problem, or possibly DGD

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Apr 13 14:38:01 CEST 2006

"Dan Bentley" <diskmaster at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Inherited variables on objects don't appear to be saving when the
> save_object() function is called. In particular (and I've seen mention of
> this before with no resolution) the <string gender> from the inherited
> creation.c is not saving to the player's dat file
>
> I am running DGD 1.2.115 and Melville 0.9.1

This looks like a bug in Melville.  The gender is saved upon character
creation, but not restored from the save file upon later login because
valid_read() does not allow reading from /data/players at that point.

> Yes, I know Melville is no longer being developed, but I personally find
> Phantasmal's structure to be dismal when you have multiple wizards working
> on the same portion of the MUD. I like Melville as a base because it's very
> easy to add new commands, objects, and rooms without getting in each other's
> way. It's very similar to TMI-2, which is the type of system I'm going for.

Understandable.  Of course, by using a mudlib that is not being
upgraded, one has to assume the duty of tracking down and fixing bugs
in that mudlib himself.