[DGD] Random Number Generation

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 20:57:01 CEST 2006

Is it possible to control the stream of random numbers that are spit
out by the random(int) kfun?

Example:  A big expanse of wilderness, made of a big map of randomly
placed landscape features.  Storing the exact state of this swath of
land would eat up lots of space, but if I could somehow store the seed
used to generate it I would cut it down to a single int along with the
inventory of the room.

IMHO it would be quite nice if the RNG algorithm were cross platform
identical and if you could seed the RNG to exactly duplicate any
sequence of random numbers.

Question:

Could you consider adding this feature?  If not, then could I fiddle
with the kfun without breaking the rest of DGD?  I'm not exactly an
expert on DGD hacking so I can't quite answer question 2 myself.