[DGD] DGD 1.2.105 VS2005 Crash

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jun 6 02:03:02 CEST 2006

Gary Preston <muphicks at mups.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought I'd get back into playing around with DGD last night,
> downloaded 1.2.105 (no extra patches applied) and tried to compile it
> with VS2005 (optimizations disabled).
>
> It compiles without error, few warnings about the various functions
> deprecated in the recent compiler release, but nothing unusual.
>
> Running dgd.exe then loading up a config and selecting start causes a
> crash. Replacing the compiled dgd.exe with the 1.2p4 pre-compiled
> version from the ftp server and it works fine. (Not same crash occurs
> when I compile from 1.2p4 source)

But some other crash?

> Running a debug version (had to define _AFXDLL and /MD to compile)

Defining _AFXDLL and using the /MD compile option creates an AFX
extension DLL rather than an executable.  I'm not sure if that
explains the crashes you reported, but it's definitely incorrect.

DGD has to be compiled with nafxcw.lib, which is not included with
VS2005 Express.  You need a "pro" or "enterprise" or somesuch edition
of Visual Studio, version 6 or later (version 4 or later for 1.2p4).

I have already switched DGD/MP on Windows to a console application,
and in the future I may do the same with DGD.  In the meanwhile,
you can compile it as a console application with the cygwin development
environment.