[DGD] Commercial question

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 23:09:01 CEST 2006

  Actually, I think 'income' in the US doesn't require a profit motive.  And
while receiving anonymous donations may not be illegal, it's quite possible
that soliciting them would be.

  So basically, Dworkin has said, "you can't make money off this, whether it's
profit or not".  If you have a stranger walk up to you on the street and give
you $50 for undisclosed reasons, that's kosher (probably, and assuming you
really don't already know them).  If you put a link on your web site that says,
"MUD admins need to eat too, here's an anonymous donation link", a judge and/or
jury is likely to suspect that you're playing fast and loose.

  That is, in the end, the final test - does a judge/jury believe that you got
income from the MUD?

  For that reason, it's a good idea to stay away even from the appearance of
that.