[DGD] Commercial question

Gary Preston muphicks at mups.co.uk
Fri May 12 02:30:01 CEST 2006

Shentino wrote:
> Is this allowed without a commercial license:
>
> 1.  Setting up a public mud.
> 2.  Accepting donations to keep it running.
>
> These donations would not be in any way mandatory and would confer no
> benefit apart from keeping the mud running.

I'm a little late on replying to this thread, but I thought I'd throw
my opinion in anyway.

I'd love to see some form of "indie" license for DGD. By that I mean a
license somewhere between the two extremes, free for non-commercial
use and 100k for commercial use.

As an example, the GarageGames engine TGE has an indie license for
$100 dollars with which you can make commercial games, however if your
income from said game exceeds a certain threshold, you must upgrade to
the commercial license. OR, if your company or any company providing
backing for the game has a turn over greater than X amount you need a
commercial license.

This is great in several ways, mainly it gives the small indie devs a
way to create games at a low cost. However, it also protects GG's
interests in that larger companies can't get away with using the Indie
license instead of the full commercial license.

So going back to DGD, I'd like to see an "indie" version of the DGD
license that allows commercial use but with certain restrictions on
income.

Lets say for a small fee of $X dollars you can license DGD for an
Indie mud, but you're limited to earning under $2k per annum. Once you
exceed that figure you must pay a royalty of X%. (Or the royalty could
simply apply from the off, but it would be nice to only have it kick
in after a lower threshold to account for hosting costs).

The royalty would only apply up to a certain threshold, beyond which
you must purchase a full commercial/annual license.

DGD is great for having a non-commercial license at all, at least its
usable for free muds, but it would be nice to have that little extra
flexibility.

Of course whether its worth instituting such a license would depend on
how much hassle is involved in checking whether people have exceeded
income thresholds etc.

Gary

- --
Gary Preston - GPG Info
* Key: http://www.figmentgames.com/gpgkey.asc
* FingerPrint: 82FE 3844 AAD7 BAA2 049B 0189 08C5 DE40 9264 9F04

Recommended Web and Domain Registrars
* Web hosting by http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?166408
* Domain hosting by http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=10422270