[DGD] Commercial question

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 19:37:01 CEST 2006

--- Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm not terribly worried about people getting
> profit "under the table", so to speak.  Philosophical issues aside,
> that's not just illegal, it's a crime.

  And yet BitKeeper had terrible compliance issues with their stuff.  BitKeeper
had a free product that would upload your changelogs to a public web site, and
a commercial version that wouldn't.  So you were basically paying them for not
making all your changelogs public.

  And they *repeatedly* had actual commercial enterprises doing things like
setting up port-blockers so they could keep using the free version of BitKeeper
in a way that violated the license.  They wanted the paid behavior of a
commercial piece of software and were illegally getting it.

  At best, annoying.  Also criminal.  So yeah, I can see how compliance
auditing would be necessary, but would also more than wipe out any profit from
a $10-a-year (or possibly even $100-a-year) license.