[DGD] Immortal Cheating

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Oct 2 00:10:41 CEST 2006

Steve Wooster <s.f.m.wooster+dgd at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
> So my idea is to have the concept of "in-game" (as opposed to immortal
> toys or code that's in production) be an inherent part of objects. An
> object would be considered in-game (IG) only after being QCed, and
> out-of-game (OOG) objects could only have restricted interaction with
> in-game objects. So a wiz-tool might be able to ask a player object what
> their stats are, but it wouldn't be able to modify them. Coders could
> change IG code in case of emergencies or to fix reported bugs, but all
> such changes would be logged for admins to review. OOG code would not be
> kept track of at all.

What's important here is that you control the API which the core mudlib
offers to wizard objects in one way or another.  Separating IG and OOG
code is one way to do it, but depending on the mudlib, it may be easier
just to add checks to the right functions.

Having different auto objects would be a good way to handle a separation
between IG and OOG code.