[DGD] Differential Calculus

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Sat Oct 14 00:56:51 CEST 2006

Shentino wrote:
> You think it's worth the trouble?

I think it's a technique to keep in mind and bring out when it's
relevant, but that it should be seen as a local optimization rather than
a fundamental approach to architecture. Spending a lot of effort on it
will stifle your creativity because it relies on very simple "closed
form" mechanics and much of the fun of games comes from non-linear
behaviour. I just think it's more of a clever trick to master and use
here and there for simple behaviour that you want to be cheap. I think
making simulation that's appealing to players is very hard to do in
closed form and much easier to do as heartbeat style state machines.

Zell