[DGD] Callouts and the system clock

Petter Nyström jimorie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:11:06 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06, Felix A. Croes <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> Petter Nyström <jimorie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Short question: How will callouts be affected if the system clock is
> > changed?
>
> Don't change the system clock.  If you want to keep it running correctly,
> use a time server.  DGD is not affected by daylight saving time changes,
> even on Windows.
>
> If the clock is turned back, some callouts may be delayed; if the clock
> is turned forward, some callouts may be speeded up.

Actually, using a time server was one of the things I was concerned
about. Using a time server will periodically change my system clock,
even if only slightly so. (Right?) It could then still put millitime
callouts seriously off their intended delay. I would then rather have
a system clock that may be drifting over long periods, but atleast the
error is smooth and consistent instead of having jumps every ten
minutes or similar. Does this argument sound right to you? (I don't
know how the interaction with a time server actually works.)

Regards,

Jimorie

P.S. I have been having a bunch of trouble posting to the list from my
new Gmail account. Mail bounces with a message my headers are
suspicious and need to be approved by the list moderator. I have tried
sending a few times now with different settings, so my apologies to
the list moderator (that would be Dworkin I assume) if I have somehow
spammed you. I am hoping it will go through this time, disabling
stupid RTF formatting that was for some reason on per default. I am
not liking this first experience of Gmail... D.S.