[DGD] Borkout release

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 01:27:57 CEST 2006

Don't I have the most foul luck?

My computer's hard drive bit the big dust yesterday and I lost my
mudlib for good.

This is the third time my designs have gone up in smoke, so I thought
I should release it here so someone could get something out of it.

Parser:

Use parse_string to carve up a command into a verb, an optional noun
phrase, and an indefinite number of prepositional phrases.  Hard coded
are the prepositions, and the verbs.  Nouns and adjectives, and
articles, are just strings of words.

Resolver:

Use a "prepkey" to map prepositions to roles.
Take each prepositional phrase, and if its preposition links to a role
not already collected, it is part of that new role.

Binder:

For each string of prep phrases, take candidates according to role,
and do a chain-resolve in right to left order, using the found object
for one phrase as the starting point for the next phrase to the left.
Finished when we get to the last phrase in the role.

I've also got a beefy ~Common/open/lib/object, and I've found it nice
to take subsections, such as detail, nounadj, inventory, and
archetypes, and stuff them in ~/lib/dec/blah for declarations (vars
and func decs), and put the function definitions in ~/lib/def/blah.
In my main object, I inherit all the definition files, and the
definition files inherit the declarations they need.  This allows me
to quite neatly keep

Here's hoping someone besides me can make use of it.  I retain
copyright on everything in this message to the fullest extent of the
law, but I grant all rights to use it as they see fit so long as I,
and all recipients of anything derived from this, receive the same
rights I am granting.  Sorta like the GPL.  I also disclaim all
warranties to the fullest extent of the law, express or implied,
including but not limited to the warranties of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I'll be programming again when I get a new PC...my newly dead one is a
pos and is already 5 years + secondhand at that...*sigh*

Cheers to all the DGDers, and hopefully I should be up and running again soon.