[DGD] Borkout release

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Sep 13 21:24:53 CEST 2006

Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, my income is insufficient to afford a backup device,
> and my computer was outdated as it is.  By toast, I mean uncorrectable
> media errors, aka Bad Sectors in the Wrong Places.
>
> Surprisingly, my computer is not CD bootable.  I don't have any
> contacts, and my home computer has no internet connection.  My
> internet access, including the sending of this email, is entirely at
> the whims of the computer lab at my college.  If I want to transfer
> any data, I have to use the friendly floppy disk.
>
> Believe me, I would have preferred to release actual source code.

College student, with little or no disposable income?  Many of us have
been there, and I think Mikael was trying to be helpful.  When I started
developing DGD, I used an unreliable hard drive.  I wrote software to
repair the file system and map out bad sectors, and backed up on floppy.

If your hard drive has bad sectors but is otherwise still spinning,
your mudlib is probably recoverable with much less effort than it would
take to write a new one.

Rather than replace a whole computer because of a failing hard drive,
I'd suggest getting two drives, configured as RAID-1.  Even if second
hand is all you can afford, that will be much more reliable.