[DGD] requesting advice for newbie mud admin

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 19:43:38 CEST 2007

  Given your priorities, I would say that the first thing to do is add
something fun to do.  It doesn't have to be combat, though it might be useful
if it were a multiplayer activity.

  To get playtesting you first need people.  To get people, build something
fun.  It doesn't have to be a stereotypical MUD -- in fact, it probably
shouldn't be because it sounds like that's not your focus.   But build
something simple and fun.  A stamp-collecting game, a coin-flipping game, the
ability to bet against other players, a cockroach-racing thing where you try to
beat your own best time...  Anything, really.  And simple is probably better to
start out with.  But you'll want to make something to attract people to the
other services (like chat, and your MUDlib overall) that you want to test.