[DGD] Trademark/copyright concern

M. C. Skinner skinner.m.c at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 22:12:07 CEST 2007

The time I have violated trademarks they usually ask through a ceased
and desist letter, which you will have some time to comply with. I know
that you usually can use the same trademarks as other companies so long
as you are in a completely different area or if it seems that the name
or phrase is widely used by other people. If while doing a search for
the name you see many people using it in the same method as you would be
using it. A simple way, but not guaranteed method, is to determine
whether the word or phrase is a trademark by searching at
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk.
for the US. I do not have the link for European trademark searches. I do
remember that in the US trademarks do not have to be registered in order
to be considered trademarks-- they have to be adequately defended.
European trademarks must be registered (though I suppose there may be
variations based on particular countries) or else it is not a valid
trademark in europe (though since I don't live there I could be wrong).

Note that I am not a legal expert, but just sharing what I learned when
I received a C&D letter.