[DGD] Trademark/copyright concern

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 23:18:46 CEST 2007

  The phrases you use here are short enough that it's quite reasonable to
assume fair use, though you might want to be polite and put somewhere (online
help?) some kind of nod to InfoCom for rocking :-)

  If you were going to excerpt something longer, it would become a gray area,
and depend on things like whether you were charging money or otherwise behaving
in a commercial way.

  Also, it would depend if you do it a few times, which is probably fine, or
all over.  The basic guideline is that you're allowed to refer to such things,
but you can't make them a significant part of your work or it becomes a
derivative work, and thus violates their copyright.