[DGD] Annoying n00b questions

Kurt Nordstrom kurt at blar.net
Thu Apr 26 02:52:10 CEST 2007

Hello everybody.  Recently I started dabbling in DGD again after some
time spent messing with MUSH/MUX and MOO.  LPC is like returning to an
old friend with whom I had some occasional squabbles. ;)

I do have some questions that perhaps somebody might have some insight
into.  So, here goes...

1) I want ANSI.  My understanding is that the vanilla driver filters
this out.  I see an ANSI patch for 1.1, but I'm running 12.x.  Does
anybody know if it works on the latest source tree?  The same goes for
the regular expression patches that I see.  I know that you can use
parse_string for regexp matching, but I'm really not ready to learn that
much right now. ;)

2) MOO and MUSH have spoiled me in that it's pretty simple to evaluate a
statement of code on the fly to see what will happen.  Is there any way
to do this in DGD?  Has somebody come up with a clever wiztoy to allow
for that sort of thing?  If such a thing violates DGD's philosophy,
please educate me. :)

3) I'm using the Melville lib as my base.  I'm thinking that I might
want to implement a public interface on the player object for storing
and retrieving generic properties. (e.g. set_property(string name, mixed
value), get_property(string name) ) For example, if I had a "tell"
command, it might want to store a "sender" property in the recipient so
that this property could be checked for by a subsequent "reply"
command.  Stuff like that.  Is there any reason that this might be a bad
idea?

Thanks for your thoughts.  I do appreciate 'em.

-Kurt