[DGD] Changing connect() (network package)

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Dec 11 01:00:55 CET 2007

Right, I'll have to teach my mailer to use the correct sender address when
sending stuff to the list.. retrying..

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:02:35 -0800, Shentino wrote
> I'm actually been thinking of making a new version of the network
> package that plays nicer by using the extension interface, and that
> won't interfere with the "legacy" behavior of vanilla DGD.

That would be really nice, but I also would not know where to start with this.

The current network package is quite embedded in comm.c and connection.c in
order to add the functionality needed to user objects. I wonder if the
extension interface could be used to implement something similar. I'd imagine
it could at least be used for implementing the kfuns and get that part of the
network package out of the driver sources.

What I did yesterday is take a look at some older attempt at merging the
network package into dgd 1.2.105, and after a bit of fiddling, the connection
code works. I do however have some serious bug still in it (at least one..
haha) that shows as a sig11 during object destruction. Oh, and its still only
105, so would need some more work even when the bugs are fixed, and will
prolly need a fair amount of work to be kept uptodate. In that sense your idea
sounds a lot better.

That said.. it works far enough that I have a development copy of my mud
running on it with a working intermud 3 connection and a user logged in.. I
can crash it easily, but its a start... and I have a DGD 1.2.105 showing in
the mudlist :)