[DGD] Changing connect() (network package)

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Dec 12 01:29:17 CET 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:07:11 +0100, Felix A. Croes wrote
> Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >   Incidentally, there's a really easy, clean way you can get outbound network
> > connections with vanilla DGD, though it requires writing some non-DGD code.
> >
> >   Write a simple network server that knows to connect on a particular port (it
> > will be connecting to your DGD server).  Have a simple control protocol with
> > the operation "open a new outbound connection to <machine, TCP port>, then
> > connect back to <port>".  When the server sees the operation, have it fork off
> > a new process which opens the outbound connection to the given server and
port,
> > opens a socket to the DGD server, and then just copies the data back and forth
> > from one socket to the other.
>
> I see that Noah figured it out before I did!

Its similar to how intermud.org suggests solving this problem for any mud that
can't make outbound connections. Obviously, DGD allows you to wrap this very
nicely.

You'll have to provide some form of security on the sockets DGD is listening
to tho, esp if you have local users on the same machine, a simple ip filter or
firewall isn't going to do the trick.

Bart.

Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/