[DGD] Reasonable Tick Counts?

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 19:22:17 CEST 2007

  If you're going past 10,000 ticks then either you're processing something
absolutely huge, or you've got a serious coding error.

  A tick is a processor-independent measurement of execution time.  Since it's
not possible to do that perfectly, DGD assigns different operations different
'costs' in ticks in a way that is reasonably sensible on current hardware, and
adds them up as it executes.  The idea is that the number of ticks an operation
costs is meant to be roughly proportional to its cost in cycles on the
hardware, but that's not possible to do exactly in a processor-independent way.

  Since ticks are assigned approximately arbitrarily, you pretty much just need
to try some things and see how many ticks they take in order to get a feel for
that -- rather like processor cycles.