[DGD] Sending telnet KEEPALIVE packets

Tim Johnson cmdrkeen2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:53:18 CEST 2007

What the MUD I'm on does is there's a pocketwatch item that you can buy that
will just beep every so often... it obviously seems totally useless to
everyone except a couple people who play from a school or college network.
Just sending a "your pocketwatch beeps" line to the player will be enough to
keep the connection open usually, and seems a bit safer than sending a
packet that might possibly crash some clients.  Elsewhere on another MUD I
noticed that when I come back from idle, there's stuff randomly indented, so
I assume they do a similar thing and just send me a space every 10 minutes
or something (I haven't enabled or opted in for anything like that, so I'm
just speculating).  Either of those will make my client flash to indicate
that I'm getting incoming text, so if you do something like that, making it
optional would be a good idea in case people care about their client
flashing when nobody's doing anything.

-Tim