[DGD] Short status update for wotf.org

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Wed Jul 25 19:15:44 CEST 2007

Hello DGD people,

First of all, wow, the list has been busy again lately, and your discussions
are pretty interesting to read.

One specific comment stuck with me, Shentino mentioned the rigid 2sec hb
timing of everything on most muds. I had forgotten how odd that seemed to me
when I started playing muds in the early 90s, and had gotten used to that
being 'the way'. Of course its not, its just one way of doing things, and not
even a very nice one.

At any rate.. my mud is still not open for playing, but is open for public
testing.

In the last few months many new things have been added, and those who have
looked at it in a far past may want to take a look again.

Most notable additions:

Easy to use but quite advanced support for teaming.

  While the mud doesn't have classes, there exist a variety of roles
  within a team, including those of the traditional 'tank', 'warrior',
  'healer' etc, but without the often found complexity of organizing
  such a team.

Many new 'force techniques'

  A number of new techniques have been added, and all generally available
  ones have been documented.

Then, the timing of everything on the mud has been changed so it no longer
looks like everything happens with the same 2 sec intervals, giving a much
more 'fluid' feel to the game, especially during combat.

For those interested in the technical details:
Way Of The Force runs on a slightly modified DGD 1.2 driver. The kernel is
of my own making, but uses fragments from the modern DGD kernel as well as
from the old lpmud 2.4.5 for DGD lib. It is fully persistent for as far as
the kernel goes (rebuilding object trees and all that works), and has achieved
an uptime of 200+ days, undergoing many changes to the lib and kernel without
downtime.

Way Of The Force can be found at http://wotf.org/ (documentation) and by
telnetting to wotf.org

Bart (aka Aidil)