[DGD] Letting the players code stuff

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 04:16:26 CEST 2007

>   So a malevolent player will always be able to create a table containing 100
> tables, each containing 100 tables (and so on) and foil what you're doing.  If
> he only creates, say, 20 thousand table entries on each iteration then he won't
> run out of cycles.  But your MUD will still run out of space very, very
> quickly.  There are many related little tricks which DGD's LPC simply cannot
> address as-is.  However, by creating an interpreted language *within* DGD you
> can fix this problem because then *you* control how player code allocates all
> memory, not just some of it.

I've seen this done in Xyllomer (based on about DGD 1.95) and it
worked effectively - it is a very limited language (basically just a
series of if and else statements with basic assignments as well) based
upon latin I think, that allows players to create custom creatures to
follow their mage around. I browsed through the code, but it was
written by a wizard who was well known for his unreadable code, but if
I remember rightly it was essentially a parser that then created lpc
code for the creature - one of the restrictions that was also employed
was that the code was restricted to a certain number of lines (1000
lines).

This is one of the best features of being mage (but you have to work
hard to get there).

Kirk