[DGD] Some strange newbie questions.

Stefan Karamanov vonamarak at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 05:35:16 CET 2007

Greetings to you all,

First of all, I want to thank Erwin Harte for pointing me this mailing list.

         Now, somehow straight to the point: I wanted to ask a
question about the use of DG driver and possibility of tweaking it. I
downloaded precompiled latest possible version of the driver for WinNT
and I had absolutely no trouble with starting it or trying it with
2.4.5 mudlib - just to try if everything works fine. Then, because
actually this was my intention - I tried how good DGD works with
Cyrillic characters. This is very complicated thing with other
drivers, as far as I have noticed in every board about different MUD
engines and in my own experience. I got this idea about MUD all in my
own language (Bulgarian) years ago, but everytime I check possible
solution or two I drop the project for half a year ;) I have some
MUD&MUSH creating experience, aswell as some programing skills, but
never considered that I have the time and patience that I need to
learn all that's required to create my own running engine.
       I was very happy to see that DGD proccess cyrillic characters
easily, reciving them from my MUSHClient, storing them and sending
them back, all right. With minor change in the requirements for char
name, I've even made some heroes named in Cyr charactes. But then, I
got deeper, because I wanted (for the sake of the atmosphere and ease
of cyrillic users) all the comands in bulgarian words too, written in
cyrillic. Then I found that the driver have no problems with cyrillic
strings in quotes ( "..." ), but displays them as errors (Illegal
characters) while compiling when they are tried, let's say - for
naming a command.
       Can you suggest me a solution for those obstructions, or maybe
a way to "alias" the unpossible cyrillic commands - existing normal
command and assigning another name for it?

Every help should be much appreciated, best regards
Stefan Karamanov