[DGD] DGD 1.2p4 and precompiled objects

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon Nov 12 14:31:54 CET 2007

Is there a proper way to upgrade precompiled objects?

What works is replacing a precompiled object with an interpred one, and after
a state restore the interpreted object is used instead of the precompiled one.

However, when I try to use a driver with a new version of the precompiled
object, the driver complains that the restored object != precompiled object.

Digging a bit into comp/csupport.c turns up that if the number of functions
(or a few other things, but number of functions turns out to be the problem in
my case) changes in a precompiled object compared to the previous precompiled
version (that is still in the statedump despite there being a newer
interpreted one) the new version is refused with this message

Now, this leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Is there an 'official' way to rid myself of outdated precompiled objects
that have been replaced with an interpreted one?
2. Is there a proper way to replace precompiled objects with newer versions
that do contain new functions/variables or changed their inheritence?

A little bit of 'hacking' in csupport.c did the trick for me, but I don't like
going that way, and am wondering if I'm simply missing something here.

Oh, just for the record, I'm running on 1.2p4 and cannot migrate to the
experimental branch right now, I use the network package for things essential
to my mud.

regards,
Bart.
--