[DGD] Forensics and dead actions

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 01:02:56 CEST 2007

  I've thought the same thing.  You'll need to figure out what former actions
are detectable when.  And you'll need to figure out how many to keep around.
If every object remembers everything that happened to it since the beginning of
time, you'll find that each room, when "detectived" at, will show hundreds or
thousands of entrances and exits, objects being picked up and put down, and so
on.

  So the difficult part of the system would be determining what actions are
"interesting" in the sense of leaving useful traces.

  Also, if you have lots of NPCs that move around and do much of anything,
you'll very quickly have many thousands of old actions stored, or they'll erase
a lot of traces of PC actions, or both.  So you may need to take that into
account, too.

  But yes, there are some very interesting possibilities there, if you're
willing to do a lot of support work.