Fw: Re: [DGD] Question concerning inheritance

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 20:10:25 CEST 2008

  Partly, it depends how you store the information.  You can keep data
structures in your ObjectD (or equivalent) that aren't in the objects
themselves, like arrays or hashes.  Then you only need to load the bookkeeping
information for a lot of objects, not the objects themselves.

  Also, even if you keep the bookkeeping information in the objects (as the
Kernel lib does with its linked object lists), normally your inheritance tree
will branch very strongly.  Skotos has a single object type, their simple
physical object, which is something like 95% of their total memory usage.  Your
MUD is likely to be similar.  You normally won't ever need to load in any of
those objects or their bookkeeping information because nothing inherits from
them.  Usually, there are only a few library classes that you'll see
inheritance from, and loading in all of *those* isn't nearly as bad.