[DGD] callout bug

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 21:09:37 CEST 2008

I consider it the disease of trust.

With the internet infrastructure birthed in an atmosphere of
tit-for-tat style social norms, being a Big Evil Spammer was quite
properly sanctioned, so security was not quite that important (Red Hat
Linux: Networking and System Administration).  Modern times remove
that, and now the modern spammer often has a veil of anonymity to hide
behind.

If the major email carriers would implement SPF or DKIM or something
to prevent their email from being spoofable, then the proper baddies
could be made accountable instead of some random joe getting, well,
joe jobbed.

That, plus a bar on unauthenticated e-mail transmissions (most likely
from zombified or hijacked ISP customers) would likely cut down on the
amount of spam.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 12:07 PM,  <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:33:28 +0200, Felix A. Croes wrote
>> bart at wotf.org wrote:
>>
>> > Slightly off-topic but..
>> >
>> > Sadly enough, in this world of spam filters, backscatter spam and the like,
>> > and email being handled by mass consumer oriented ISPs in most cases, people
>> > often either don't get a DSN at all, or get a severely mangled one. Counting
>> > on text in a DSN to arrive will not work in quite a few cases.
>>
>> All true, but in the world of spam filters etc., email no longer is
>> a reliable communication medium in any case.
>
> Fun thing is.. I don't see any spam either, whereas not having a problem
> getting the email that I want to get, but since email hosting is something I
> happen to make money with, I can also afford putting in the efford (even if it
> is just a learning experience in case of my private mail).. Anyway, thats an
> entirely different discussion :)
>
>> I like the amount of spam
>> I get to read -- none -- and my evilly-chuckling response to the poor
>> downtrodden masses who, for one reason or another, never manage to
>> get an email through is "tough."

I sympathize, but only on a practical and technical level.