[DGD] DGD Map Maker Structure Report..comments?

chris . psych_mayo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:39:10 CEST 2008

> A few comments on this.
>
> While DS may be limited to 2d/3d grids, there is no need for a grid, neither
> to limit a grid to 3 dimentions.

I chose 2d/3d grids so that i could use graphical ansi maps (as in dead souls).  The rooms will not necessarily be in a big block at all.  The DS_style function, however, makes big blocks.  I decided to keep it despite its 'squareness', for things like rooms in a skyscraper, or etc.

Rooms will be mapped inside of a grid, but the grid will not be filled, and what will really count is the paths in the grid, and how they all come together.

> Those rooms can be cloned from one or more 'master rooms', but it is also
> possible to generate an array with code and compile a new room from that for
> each location.

I prefer using write_file to create physical copies of room.  This design choice may make the map maker daemon more applicable to Gurba and Windfall than to other libs.  The reason for this is legacy, for MudOs orientated builders, as well as my own preference to handle my objects from the file system.

> In order to not end up with a very large number of otherwise unused room
> objects, the daemon also needs a way to cleanup rooms that are no longer in
> use (and often as an optimalisation, keep a few empty rooms as a sort of
> cache, so they can be configured when needed without having to clone or
> generate new ones).

Yes i had neglected to deal with the clean-up issue.  My approach will be to create physical room objects when the daemon runs.  As such, clean up would be a matter of compilation / creation.  Object clean up is probably a seperate matter from the Map Maker, and since Gurba and Windfall are in non-persistent state, I will probably deal with this in coming months for my second version of Windfall.

> As an aside, my lib contains something called the automapper. It uses a
> virtual room system and produces a nice ansi map. It allows builders to walk
> around (or directly move to any managed 'location') and edit a set of basic
> properties for the location (descriptions for various times of day and
> seasons, room items, exits etc). In due time this will be extended to also
> cover player building.

I like OLC and i certainly plan to implement it heavily.  Your specific idea with adding commands for builders to work on rooms while in the room is a great convenience, than for the builder to call functions directly, or to 'patch and upload'.  And especially easier than using ed, for freaks like me.  Are you developing for the community or for your own project?  I dont remember seeing a release for your lib.
In a couple weeks I would like to have my DS_style function working, and have designed a set of 'option functions' (really just simple text matching scripting).

Thanks for your time.  Ill be happy to learn more about your map work and/or participate in its development where there is common ground between the 2 map daemons.

> Two things I'm currently playing with:
> - A new virtual object system that does much more then just rooms.
> - A simple scripting language (using parse_string) to allow adding simple
> functionality to virtual objects.

> --
> Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
> Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/