[DGD] DGD Map Maker Structure Report..comments?

chris . psych_mayo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 20:08:33 CEST 2008

Ive been grappling over this same issue myself.  Writing a game that is as much fun to as many different people as possible is one goal i have.  Another would be to provide depth and detail.
Your idea with having different fixed sizes for rooms is appealing to me.  One issue with too much customization in different rooms would be the lack of standardization everywhere.  Having maybe as little as 3 different standard room sizes sounds nice.  This scheme also fits nice with my current ansi mapping, because entrances to areas (with smaller room sizes) are marked with a char (forgot which i used) on the map.
I plan on paying a keen eye to geometry so i can have things like rockets and mortars on the post-apoc mud I've been working on.
I have some different thoughts on how to break up a single large daemon into smaller pieces, to make it all more digestable.  Is this what you had in mind for heirarchial?  I think it would eventually consist of a master map maker daemon inheriting individual map making functions (like my DS_style example).  The same would apply to the half dozen or so world biome creation functions id like.  In addition to this, there would be inheritable components for my building block lib, and inside of the block lib, another lib for furnishing rooms with objects.

Back to Bart's reply.
I've been sold on one idea.  I did not like my system of creating rooms with write_file all in one run, and than needing to break it up into smaller call_outs.  After thinking about it, and reading his reply, i decided the best approach would be to have a master map room.  This map room would contain the data it needs to create rooms, but would only perform write_file when a room is called into existence.  I see several different ways to create this system, I need to think on the details.  But the general idea would be that a room gets written simultaneous to when it is compiled.  A bug may include a players speed walking dragging the mud.  I like having limits to how fast players can move though, i grew up with too many scripters:-p.

Thanks for the advice I've gotten so far...I get a little push to think in the right direction and i see many ways to improve my plans.
-chris