[DGD] DGD and *dbm

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon Jul 21 22:32:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:11:32 +0200, Felix A. Croes wrote
> bart at wotf.org wrote:
> > Trying to think of a workable data model for this makes me come up with a
> > number of variations, all of which end up in some nested array or an array of
> > mappings if it has to scale to an imho reasonable size.
> >
> > What is your suggestion for this?
>
> Nested arrays would still all be in the same object.  It would be
> best to store data in several objects, each filled up to a maximum
> log size. That way, only the most recent object will be modified by
> new log entries, while the others remain swapped out until someone accesses
> them all (which presumably happens less often).

That would help to keep them small enough to prevent swapping and reallocate
'lag' indeed, abeit at the expense of using more objects, and imho making the
overall design of the logging subsystem more complicated.

Complexity is a concern imho since logging should be robust enough to still
provide useful data in case of serious system failure.

Another thing alltogether is that replacing 'file' tools like grep in LPC
seems difficult to me if it has to work on a substantial amount of data (think
multiple session logs from multiple players for example)

Incidentely, my lib does provide an alternative to using files or objects for
logging, it has a functional equivalent of a unix syslogd that can also log to
a seperate loghost. Supposedly I could do my grepping there :)

Its good to know about this in advance tho, thanks.

Bart.
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/