[DGD] map maker in lpc

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 07:26:40 CEST 2008

  I don't think you're crazy, and it's understandable that you have limited time to work on projects, three kids or no.  With that said, I really think you should come up with a small, focused vision for what to build *first* in this map maker, and how to plug it into an existing game library.  You'll find that open source project get *way* more momentum if people can easily try them out.  That means making it runnable extremely early, before you have a lot of contributors, so that you can *get* contributors.

  It also means making it do something simple and fun *way* earlier than when it can do everything you're talking about here.  For instance, you could make it a terrain generator for GurbaLib, have it crank out extremely simple dungeon crawls, and then slowly add more complex objects (and eventually wilderness) from there.  Or you could go a different way and make it a wilderness generator for MudOS, come up with some kind of fun wilderness game and later add buildings, objects, underground stuff...

  These projects could get to the same place from very different directions -- and to build what you're talking about, you'd have to build to the point where they would do so, whichever direction you started in.  But if you start out with a fun game from early on, you'll find that you can get *way* more people to contribute code.

  So that's what I'd say -- that you've got a fun vision for late in the project, but you should do some shorter-term planning for early in the project.  If you come up with something that will take years get really running (and that's what you described below, at least on a "many casual contributors" basis), then it's very likely that it will never go anywhere.  If you plan something that you could release on your own in a month and then *extend* to the huge eventual vision, you'll be way more likely to have people helping by then.