[DGD] preserving vars after lib recompile

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Thu Sep 18 11:02:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:46:10 +0000, chris . wrote
> > This should read: an old issue of C will be kept as well until something tries
> > to inherit B which will cause recompile(B) to be called in the driver object,
> > which will destruct B and free the old instance of C.
>
> This happens when a compiled (not cloned) object has been destructed
> and youve changed c?

Correct

> I might be a little confused, but this is what
> ive got so far:
>
> Under normal circumstances, when i change a lib, i recompile that
> lib.  Than i recompile objects inheriting that lib (or any objs that
> inherit a lib that inherits that lib).

Indeed.

> If the compiled version of an object has been destructed and ive
> made a change to a lib that is inherited by a lib that this object
> inherits, than i must recompile not just the lib i have changed, but
> also the lib inheriting the changed lib, since it is inherited by a
> now destructed dependent instance.

Yes.

To give another slightly more complex example:

Object A inherits B which inherits C which inherits D

A got destructed and D got changed

Now, you want to recompile D to make the new code active.
Because D is inherited, you'll have to destruct it.
Once done, you want to ensure everything depending on D gets the new code

To do this, you will have to destruct and compile B. When you compile B, DGD
will notice it tries to inherit C, which is based on an outdated issue of D.
It will call recompile(C) in the driver object so it can take care of this.

Hope this helps.

Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/