[DGD] DGD & MySQL

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:46:11 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:33 AM,  <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
> At the risk of sounding snobbish, if paying for your server is your goal, you
> are very very likely better off working 2 hours/week in a restaurant or such
> then trying to get that money through paying users. Sure, the later is
> possible, just bloody unlikely.

If I had a full time job right now I'd certainly not be having spare
time enough to keep a server running...not without risking termination
for unauthorized 'net access.

My main concerns are being able to cover server costs in some manner
other than out of pocket.  Accepting voluntary donations seemed to be
a nice way to do that.  At present though, the licensing fees dwarf
every other operating expense.

I'm fortunate that tripleflonk gave me a shell account (which I'm
using to try to get a version of phantasmal up and running).  My
concern is mainly for other folks who just want to host muds for fun
and would rather not bother themselves with the business aspect.

VGmusic.com is a sorta example.  It's a free download site, and those
who are willing can contribute to server costs.  You can do so
anonymously and without reward.