[DGD] DGD & MySQL

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Fri Sep 19 18:16:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:46:11 -0700, Shentino wrote
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:33 AM,  <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
> > At the risk of sounding snobbish, if paying for your server is your goal, you
> > are very very likely better off working 2 hours/week in a restaurant or such
> > then trying to get that money through paying users. Sure, the later is
> > possible, just bloody unlikely.
>
> If I had a full time job right now I'd certainly not be having spare
> time enough to keep a server running...not without risking
> termination for unauthorized 'net access.

I wasnt talking about a fulltime job, but, many who have a fulltime job still
have time to have a hobby. I now work 4 days/week, but used to have a fulltime
job myself which didn't stop me from running a mud.. :)

At any rate, wether you play some sports, build model airplanes or run a mud
as a hobby, it is going to cause some expense, where running a mud is likely
the cheapest of those 3 also.

At any rate, my comment mostly concerned the amount of time and efford it
takes to write n alternative for DGD. Doing so to be able to pay for your
server costs sounds like a inefficient use of your time, spending a fraction
of that time on some small sidejob should already cover the costs of hosting
unless you plan on something much more serious and intend to develop a
commercial product and a business.

If a GPLed (for example) LPC driver would exist, that would indeed allow
people to make some money from their mud and for example cover the cost of
hosting. But then, there is such a thing, abeit lacking something that could
be called a mudlib. Ok, its only close to LPC, but it does talk to sql
databases and has tons of other fancy features. Look for pike :)

Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/