[DGD] Pet peeves for users in a MUD

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Thu Apr 16 10:27:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:00:45 -0700, Shentino wrote

> The only good reason to idle I can think of is for a koan.  Sadly, I
> have received orders as a wizard to make admins immune from idleness
> checks just so they could koan around doing nothing but meditating
> on the virtues of being logged in doing nothing.  A definite
> manifestation of "know thy place on the totem pole" that did nothing
> for the game itself except cater to the administration's weirdness.

Staying idle but online for a long time as admin serves a bit more then the
weirdness of administrators. Most muds send notifications about potential
problems, unusual events and what not to online admins, and those can easily
be read back in a scrollback buffer, and related to the real-time events,
channel messages and what not that relate to it.

I'd 'hide' such idle admins from sight once the 'regular' idle time expires,
to avoid the 'impression of being there'.

Bart
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/