[DGD] Fwd: Kotaka development

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:21:45 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM, <bart at wotf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:14:59 -0800, Shentino wrote

I speak on behalf of my prophet, Linus Torvalds.

:D

Seriously though, I was referring to svn's lack of intelligence when dealing
with file renames and moves and copies.  With svn you have to "report to hq"
every time you move a file or a directory.  Personally, I find this annoying
especially when I'm dealing with trying to keep my source tree for kotaka
(and now phantasmal) well organized.  Not having to worry about subversion's
getting confused if I randomly move crap around is a major plus for me using
git.

Just to clarify, I was speaking of intelligence and sanity from the point of
view of the program itself, not the people using it.  IMO, subversion is
stupid because it's easy to confuse, which makes it delicate and fragile.
CVS is insane because of its being file-bound, which makes it unable to deal
with the harsh realities of directory trees.

I have nothing but respect for the users though ;)