[DGD] time travel

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 06:21:17 CET 2009

  Well, if you rolled back to the moment of the paradox and then went forward, it'd depend on how your "going forward" algorithm worked, how far it went and so on.  That's a good question in general, and depends a lot on other game mechanics.

  One fine fix for this would be to not allow time-travel in your "going forward" algorithm, so it would only roll forward until the first instance of time-travel, and then stop.  However, that would still be rolling forward from a state where your grandfather was dead -- there'd just be no you to kill him, and so no obvious cause of death.  So there would be no you, even though you had had an effect on the game state.  Killing your grandfather would still destroy your character, basically, assuming no time-travel (or other algorithm-interrupting events) were to occur between your killing him and whenever you rolled forward to.