[DGD] Fwd: Kotaka development

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Feb 23 04:29:06 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 01:25:18PM +0100, bart at wotf.org wrote:
> Not as such I think, but I've been pondering integrated source control in my
> mud. This would involve writing a client in LPC and either using an external
> daemon for doing the actual communications or using the network package for that.
>
> The first goal would be to pull updates from a repository and rebuild the
> related inheritables and objects automatically. Pushing things to a repository
>  seems a bit more complex, and I'm not sure if it would be needed.

The CVS distribution contains documentation of its client/server protocol.
It probably isn't that difficult to implement in DLPC given that
documentation and available C, C++ and Java clients to crib from and
the availability of the networking package.

I can't see any point in using anything more complicated than CVS in the
situation you describe.  None of the features that differentiate
distributed version control systems such as Mercurial or git appear to
be relevant and you're really not going to hit any of CVS's weaknesses.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com