[DGD] networking/beginner comments

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 25 06:01:13 CEST 2009

  Felix is against the driver being able to initiate outgoing connections, for security reasons.  "Networking support" is a bit of an exaggeration of what he opposes :-)

  LPCSSH gives SSH support, which is nice.  There's already perfectly good binary port support in general -- Phantasmal even uses that for telnet, and just uses DGD telnet support for a backup "in case of emergency" admin port.

  As long as you don't need outgoing network connections, or a protocol that requires them (InterMUD3, active-mode FTP), vanilla DGD is fine.  It's outgoing connections that would require an external daemon.